ZABZUGU DISTRICT ASSEMBLY
The Zabzugu District, formerly called Zabzugu-Tatale District is one of the 16 Districts in the Northern Region. The district was carved out of the former East Dagomba District (Yendi) in 1988 by PNDC Law 207, (Act 462), and in 2012 the district became one of the newly created districts due to the carving out of Tatale/Sanguli District with LI 2053. It is one of the eastern corridor districts in the Northern Region of Ghana, with Zabzugu as the district capital. As a district we enjoin by central government and the NDPC to prepare MTDP every 4 years to guide the development of the district in line with government Agenda or framework. This plan will spans from 2018-2021. It includes activities in the education, health, environment, water and sanitation, secuirity. The plan is guided by the outcome of 2014-2017 MTDP, community action plans(CAPs), departmental plans, sustainable development goals.
MANDATE OF THE ZABZUGU DISTRICT ASSEMBLYThe District Assemblies are responsible for the overall development of the district including but not the least;
- Reshaping of feeder Roads for the Communities
- Construction of Schools and Hospitals
- Construction of Dams and Water Systems
- Ensuring Hygiene and Sanitation
- Providing Safety and Security
- Ensuring Local Economic Development (LED) etc.
VISION OF THE ZABZUGU DISTRICT ASSEMBLYA healthy people with high productivity in a well-managed environment, high standard of living and where children, women, and men have equal access to basic health, quality education, food and nutrition, economic resources and participation in decision-making.
MISSION STATEMENT OF THE ZABZUGU DISTRICT ASSEMBLYThe Zabzugu District Assembly exist “to foster unity, peace and harmony amongst the people, whiles pursuing plans and programmes to improve and sustain the living standards of all people living within the borders of the district” The mandate is realized through the:
- Implementation of policies and guidelines
- Use of Information, Communication and Technology (ICT): and
- Well-trained, highly motivated.
OBJECTIVETo improve and increase quality of teaching and learning: utilization and quality of maternal and child health services: availability, access and hygienic utilization of safe drinking water and sanitation; availability, access and utilization of food; and improve socisoeonomic status of vulnerable persons in the district, including women. CORE VALUES OF THE ZABZUGU DISTRICT ASSEMBLY Accountability, client-oriented, creativity, diligence, discipline, equity, integrity, innovativeness, loyalty, commitment, anonymity, impartiality, permanence, timeliness, and transparency.
GOAL“To achieve improved local economy by harnessing resources for accelerated and sustainable development towards higher living standards and attainment of the MDG’s” The data used in the preparation of this report was obtained from various role out departments in the district. The problems encountered in the collection of data included the following; Delays by some Decentralized Departments in the submission of reports. Inadequate Financial and Resources to conduct monitoring and evaluation in various decentralized departments in the District
Departments and Divisions
- Central Administration Includes District Planning Unit, Budget Unit, Internal Audit Unit, Procurement Unit, Stores, Registry and Radio Operating Section).
- Controller and Accountant General Department (CAGD)
- Department of Agriculture
- Ghana Health service (GHS)
- Ghana Education Service (GES)
- Works Department
- Trade and Industry (BAC)
- Disaster Management (NADMO)
- Social Welfare and Community Development
- Information Service Department (ISD)
- Ghana Police Service
- National Commission for Civic Education (NCCE)
- Electoral Commission (EC)
- Center for National Culture (CNC)
- National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS)
- Environmental Health Department
- Commission for Human Rights and Administration Justice (CHRAJ)
- Human Resource Management Department
- District Youth Authority
- Nations Builders Corps Office (NABCO)
Hon. Jabaah John Bennam
Cyprian C.K. Douchebe
Tindam K. Douglas
Hon. Ahamed Abukari Iddirisu
Alhaji Amidu Haruna
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ZABZUGU DISTRICT ASSEMBLYTo achieve the above objectives, the Zabzugu District Assembly:
- Implementation of Government Policies and programmes.
- Implementation of developmental projects and programmes within the District.
- Making By-laws for the District.
- Continuous improvement of staff capacity of the Assembly.
SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE ZABZUGU DISTRICT ASSEMBLY INCLUDE:
- Reshaping of feeder roads
- Construction of dams and drilling of boreholes
- Construction of CHPS facilities
- Construction of Classrooms
- Provision of school furniture
- Registrations of businesses
- Processing of building permit
- Support needy but brilliant students
- Support People with Disability
- Undertaken climate change activities
- Promotion of Local Economic Development
- Organize monthly clean-up exercises in the district
- Formulation of By-laws for the district.
- Support Disaster victims in the District.
- Support extension of electricity in the district.